He was born in 1512 PD, the son of Melisande Vellacott Long and her second husband. His father died when Travis was young, and he never grew close with his mother or his older half-brother, Gavin. (MA1)
One of his high school teachers noted how his name (with the middle shortened to an initial) sounded somewhat like Travis Oolong, an Old Earth brand of tea. This earned him the nickname "Travis Tea", which soon started the tradition of calling him "a travesty" of all kinds. He joined the Royal Navy as a young adult, with the expressed goal of protecting the Star Kingdom.
Holding the rank of Lieutenant (senior grade), he served aboard the destroyer HMS Phoenix. When he wanted to write up Fenton Locatelli, who was the nephew of Admiral Carlton Locatelli, for sloppy work, his captain and executive officer refused and soon had him transfered to the light cruiser HMS Casey.
He later fought in the battle against the Volsung Mercenaries, who had been sent to conquer Manticore by the Axelrod Corporation. During the fight, he noticed a weakness in one of the enemy ships' autocannon defenses, which Commodore Rudolph Heissman used for a maneuvre that left the Volsung flagship, Odin, seriously damaged. He was also instrumental in the destruction of the Volsung battlecruiser Tyr with his idea of running a training missile parallel to Casey and blocking Tyr's energy attack with its wedge while Casey was able to fire its energy torpedoes.
Service Record Edit
- Spacer Third Class (since 1529 PD)
- Spacer First Class (in 1532 PD)
- Petty Officer Third Class (in 1533 PD)
- Lieutenant (JG) (since 1539 PD)
- Lieutenant (SG) (in 1543 PD)
- Gravitics Technician, HMS Vanguard (1529-1532 PD)
- Gravitics Technician, HMS Guardian (1532-1533 PD)
- detached as a college student (since 1533 PD)
- Officer Candidate, Officer Candidate School (until 1538 PD)
- a first junior officer post, HMS Thorson
- recruitment officer, a recruitment station in Landing (in 1539 PD)
- Assistant Tactical Officer, HMS Phoenix (DD-08) (1540-1543 PD)
- Assistant Tactical Officer, HMS Casey (CL-01) (since 1543 PD)