Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Taking over Hades created the problem of how to cope with crimes committed there by State Security personnel. According to the Grayson Articles of War, Admiral Harrington, as the senior officer of the anti-Havenite forces present, was obliged to punish those guilty of criminal conduct in her command area.
Applied law Edit
Section Twenty-Seven of the Deneb Accords prohibited any trial of enemy personnel in time or war. Subsection Forty-Two specifically provided for wartime trials of individuals for alleged violation of local laws predating their capture, but prohibited ex post facto trials under the law of whoever captured them.
Most legal authorities interpreted that as meaning that those accused of violations should be tried in civilian courts following the end of hostilities. Due to a wartime situation Admiral Harrington decided to establish rather a military tribunal, and empanel it with officers drawn from those imprisoned on Hades. Possibly there were used some procedures from the Manticoran Articles of War, suitable for court-martial.
Established rules Edit
There were at least two rules implemented by the members of the military tribunal:
- The rule of unanimous voting concerning capital punishments - this allowed Admiral Sabrina Longmont, of the People's Navy, to accept the invitation to the military tribunal board.
- Unanimous election of the president by the other members military tribunal - this way, the members of the tribunal emphasized the principle of impartiality, as Captain McKeon had never been harmed by StateSec functionaries on Hades.
Sentences of the military tribunal were endorsed by Admiral Harrington, due to her responsibility as the senior officer present. (HH8)
Admiral Harrington appointed to the Tribunal:
- Captain (SG) Alistair McKeon, of the Royal Manticoran Navy, elected to the position of the president
- Commander Albert Hurst, of the Helmsport Navy, who represented the inmates of Camp Inferno
- Captain Cynthia Gonsalves, of the Alto Verdan Navy, who represented the other military prisoners
- Commodore Gaston Simmons, of the Jameston System Navy, who represented the other military prisoners as well
- Admiral Sabrina Longmont, of the People's Navy, a political prisoner, the only member of the tribunal who did not join the anti-Havenite forces
Appointing to the tribunal board Commander Hurst, Captain Gonsalves and Commodore Simmons, Admiral Harrington recognized their ranks obtained in the Helmsport Navy, the Alto Verde Navy and the Jameston System Navy. (HH8)
As a result:
- at least 58 StateSec functionaries were sentenced to death,
- at least one – Lieutenant of StateSec Kenneth Mangrum - was sentenced to 77 years of prison,
- at least one case was dismissed – Commander of StateSec Ragman, chief communications officer, accused of torture and murder, committed suicide before trial.
- ↑ eg. junior member of the tribunal in rank of Commander, while known, the most senior accused person was Commander also
- ↑ eg. admissibility of proofs
- ↑ The Star Kingdom of Manticore at least de facto recognized Havenite soveregnity in the Trevor's Star System, it was also mentioned Pegasus System and Gaston System were annexed by the People's Republic of Haven on a basis of their requests.