The Constitution of the Protectorate of Grayson was created after the Grayson Civil War by Protector Benjamin the Great, to make sure that there would never again be a period of unlawful government as the one Grayson had just survived.
The constitution created a number of regulations to transform and modernize Grayson society and government:
- An elected Conclave of Steaders that would share legislative power with the Conclave of Steadholders was created.
- A secular judiciary branch separate from the Sacristy of the Church of Humanity Unchained was established.
- A planetary Army and Space Navy under the personal command of the Protector was created.
- Steadholders were forbidden to arm and equip military forces other than their 50 personal armsmen under penalty of death.
- The Protectorship was transformed into a hereditary office which concentrated into itself the functions of head of state, head of government and commander-in-chief of the military.
Under the new constitution, Benjamin the Great replaced the patriarch's key of the Steadholders with a Bible and sword as the symbols of the Protectorate, symbolizing his God-given authority as Protector. (HH5, HH9)