Following the New Tuscany Incident, a Manticoran diplomatic mission was sent to the Office of Frontier Security's Commissioner in the Madras Sector. The mission was terminated due to information recieved by the Talbott Quadrant government about a large SLN force observed in the Meyers System. After being notified of Admiral Josef Byng's death in the Second Battle of New Tuscany, Admiral Sandra Crandall led Task Force 496 to the Spindle System to demand the surrender of Admiral Gold Peak and every officer and ship involved in the New Tuscany Incident. (SI2 , HH12)
Order of battle Edit
- "Anvil force", CO - Vice Admiral Augustus Khumalo - tactical command over missile pods transfered to Commodore Terekhov
- "Hammer force", CO - Vice Admiral Gold Peak:
- Destroyer Squadron 301
- wall of battle - nine battle squadrons, including:
- battlecruiser screening element:
- lighter screening elements:
- heavy cruiser screening element
- light cruiser screening element
- a destroyer flotilla
Course of battle Edit
Enormous Solarian losses were caused by only one salvo of 12,228 Mk. 23 missiles, fired at a range of 53 million km and controlled by the cruiser force. The next identical salvo was detonated before it reached the enemy, as the "Exclamation Point" of the battle. After that the Solarian ships struck their wedges, before an equally massive third salvo was needed.
The more than 400,000 surviving crewmembers of TF 496 were transfered to Flax as prisoners. Vice Admiral Gold Peak decided to treat them as the prisoners of war, a courtesy she wasn't required to undertake, as due to the lack of any formal declaration of war by the Solarian League, TF 496 could have been considered pirates.
Admiral O'Cleary was released to personally report to her superiors back on Earth.
- ↑ Flagship - HMS Hercules, CO - Captain Victoria Saunders.
- ↑ Layed by Commander Badmachin's group of ammunition ships.
- ↑ Of Carrier Division 7.1, CO - Rear Admiral Stephen Enderby.
- ↑ including SLNS Andreas Vesalius, the squadron flagship
- ↑ including SLNS Anton von Leeuwenhoek, the squadron flagship
- ↑ including SLNS Charles Babbage, the squadron flagship
- ↑ 90% of complements, including all Marines, were ordered to do it themselves using their small craft and lifepods